The Altered Subject

Okay, so I'm pretty sure this is the last prescribed sort of assignment I'll be getting from my Junior Workshop instructor, David.  We were to alter our subject in some way without using Photoshop.  I had the toughest time coming up with something.  I've been pretty out of my element and out of it in general for a couple of years now, so I didn't know how to handle this.  I had a couple of ideas, but they were weak at best and still not "me".  So, I talked with my instructor, he gave a few examples of what the concept means, and I said, "well, the last thing I was doing that really worked for me were these little set-ups".  He said, "Well, there you go."  I think I was able to visualize what I wanted to do within minutes of the end of that conversation.  That was a just a few days ago, and the assignment was due today.  I had two weeks to do this, and spring break was one of them, so if I'd known what I wanted to do, I could have gotten many more than just the three images done.  I thought I was done with the set-ups, but I like how these turned out.  I think I'll finish out the semester with this work and make it my final.  Should be fun--tons of work, but fun.

I started these at 3am and worked through to nearly 1pm.  The furniture in the rooms is purchased dollhouse furniture which I have painted to make look aged and used.  I wanted the rooms to look run down, colorful, textural, and off-kilter.  My subject here is still life, but I've tried to make it look a little more surreal.  Strange thing, a couple of days after I spoke to David, I took one of those ridiculous Facebook quizzes.  This one was "which painting are you?"  The result was Magritte's Son of Man.  Silly, but it was like an omen.  I wanted the still lifes to overpower the rooms they were in to transform them into completely new objects.  Just something a little ambiguous, unexpected, odd, and maybe a little uncomfortable.  The rooms feel a little oppressive to me.  I wanted the color to be both muted and intense, hence the browns mixed with the almost neon colors.  I like that play.  I also like the way the vibrant freshness of these fruits and veg contrast with the dirty surroundings--feels kind of like hope to me, and they elevate the importance of their surroundings in that respect for me.  The fruit and veg were attached to the boxes they were in via large screws jutting into the boxes from behind.  I wanted them to appear to be floating--just there, like that's where they should be in that environment.

.....I could go on and on about this, but I have reading to do and am already feeling sleep taking over......
  




Comments

Erin McGuire said…
I freaking love these!!! I love how old, yet new, they feel. I love your description about how they make you feel hope. I totally agree. That bright spot of fruit on the dingy wall does feel like hope. So does the light. I love the light! I also really love how you captured the edge of the box in the frame. It really adds something to shot but I cant put my finger on what. If you didnt have that box edge, the scale would be way different. Like it would be hard to tell that it was doll house furniture and the scale of the fruit would change to be something huge.

Something else I love is the feel of the color and the image. Are these scanned prints? There is something you did with the color to make the articles in the room look sort of animated in a gritty way. Shit, I cant really explain it but I love it. I see that look sometimes in images and have always wanted to know how it was done.
Kelly said…
I can't remember now what I told you in the last email.

These are images I shot here at home. I put the set-ups together using some wood boxes, scrapbooking paper, paint, glue, brand new dollhouse furniture, fruit and veg, and screws (to prop up the fruit/veg). I didn't actually alter the images in any way except to dodge/burn and do a slight color balance which are things I would have done in a wet color darkroom using film anyway. I'm still not ready for Photoshop manipulations. haha--it'll probably happen one of these days though. So, no. These would not be scanned prints. They are digital files which were shot using my 40D then processed in the way I mentioned above in Photoshop.

I'm so pleased you like them! I feel like this is a direction that will work well for me, and I'm excited about it!!
aslashm said…
yay! we are blogger buddies now. i love you wrage.
aslashm said…
i'm really digging these. when can i see them in person? any show at your school coming up? love you wrage.
Kelly said…
You know, I wish we'd had a show this semester, but so many of us juniors were just out of it this semester. Not enough in terms of cohesive groups of images to really put together an entire show. I did hang 6 of these last week, but it was only for a few hours. It was for a competition for an award--competing against all of the other nominees in the College of Art and Design, including painting, sculpture, industrial design, printmaking, film...... So, I'm not really holding my breath.

Thanks for asking and for the compliments! I intend to post more when I can breath again.

And I absolutely ADORE you VanTassel!! :)

Popular Posts