The Altered Print

There is a longstanding project or  topic I've been considering and working on in bits and pieces for a while now.  A few months ago, I came across this little book in an antiques mall.  It's titled Addison's Sir Roger DeCoverley.  It was published in 1917, but I believe the story predates that.  As I started thumbing through the book, I found many parallels between this character's situation with a pretty, highly intelligent, and ultimately deceptive widow, and a situation of my own.

This work is part of recent assignment I had at UArts.  It was titled. "The Altered Print".  It was designed to get students to consider all portions of their work, from start to finish: shooting, processing, and the final print.  The final print was to be altered in some way, and concept was to be considered when making the decision as to how to alter these prints.  I shot the images digitally, then made a print.  I altered that first print by applying a solvent (of sorts) to the ink so I could move it around a bit.  I tried to make them look like monotypes at this stage.  I then put these altered prints back through the printer.  I made a high contrast version of each image with text taken from the book and printed that on top of each of the altered prints.  I wanted them to resemble handmade illustrations which might belong in a book, reflecting the source of the text, the story in it, and my own vague little tale.  It was also important to me that these have an altered digital feel to them.  I like the idea of hand-manipulating something digital which itself makes the notion of manipulating the hyper reality of photography a problem for people today.  My intent here was to obscure the obvious, to confuse, to be vague, and to allow the viewer to draw his own conclusions.  I think I may have obscured things a little too much, and perhaps erased more than I would have liked of my own story.  My situation is my own though, and no one can ever really know another's experience.   














Comments

Erin McGuire said…
Ok, I am not even sure I know how to respond to these images and what you have written. It is all so powerful! I dont know if you erased too much of what you didnt want to erase in these images with the de-inking you did but what I see is just straight up beautiful!

On a technical side only, leaving all the emotion out of it, which is hard because every single one of these images and the statement written up them make me emotional, these prints are gorgeous because of the lighting, framing, composition and high contrast. I love high contrast. But I think what I love the most in all these images is the light. Its of a quality that I dont think I have ever seen before in any photograph. Is that because of how you altered them? Whatever the case may be, its gorgeous and reminds me of home when I was little. Of all the windows and the light that used to pour through them, especially on a Saturday morning or a late summer afternoon.

On an emotional level, these images go way over the top for me. The words, the way you altered them with those brush strokes, the content, the words, all of it comes together to paint these pictures of a person I recognize. Whether that is you, me, any woman, I dont know. I think all of the above, but I connect with these images on such a personal level that I want to cry every time I look them. I cant even begin to pick a favorite and that is an odd thing for me. I always have a favorite but these are all so good that I cant do that now.

Kelly, this is my honest opinion on these images. Keep it up! This is it for you. These images are what will change your life. These are truly the most beautiful hand altered photographs I have ever seen. You poured your heart into every one of these images. And what you wrote about what happened about those who it happened with is so thoughtful and honest and open that I cannot help but think that this is the direction you were led meant to go all along. They were instrumental in getting you to this point and are now a part of you, for good or ill, and these images show that.

What a journey you have been Kelly and with these images and your words, you are taking me along with you.

I love you. You are my sister and the most talented individual I have ever met in my life.
Mike Manley said…
Very powerful stuff and it really comes from those life experience which are not all pleasant.

keep it up!
Kelly said…
Thanks guys! Erin, wow, I wasn't expecting that! Thank you so much for the compliments! Finding that little book was kind of cool. I like the way some of the content fits in. I guess it's a timeless sort of thing though. I had been trying to figure out a way to use some of what was in there, so I actually scanned and cleaned up the text rather than copy the words and type in a ready-made font from PS. I wanted the actual words from the book in there, and I liked the idea of the letters all being somewhat unique, which you don't get in PS. It took much longer, but I like the way it looks. As for the light, part of it was in the original photographs. I'm always drawn to that sort of thing especially in a home setting, but it got pumped up when I was playing with the ink. That's one of the great things about monotypes--the strong contrast between light and shadow. I'm glad these resonate so strongly with you Erin. It's good to know that can happen. I really wasn't sure if anything was coming across at all. I have other ideas for shooting at the new/old place too..... :)

I'm not sure where I'm going with this if anywhere at all. I'll keep playing with it though, to see if anything comes of it. Perhaps with my own text. There was this really great old typewriter in the old house we're buying. We told them they didn't have to take anything else out--maybe they'll leave that behind! Don't know where you can get typewriter ribbon anymore though.

Erin, I love you too and respect your opinion. Thanks again for your comments!

Popular Posts