Alternative Camera Assignment













It took me a couple of weeks to find the time to put this work up.  It's just been one assignment after another--busy busy busy.  This one was based on using "alternative cameras".  This was of course an experiment that forces the photographer to consider what he or she is photographing based on what the camera "sees" or how it functions, quirks and all.  God knows I have a plethora of what would be considered alternative cameras because I've been using them extensively for the past few years, but in the spirit of the assignment, I decided to get a new camera--a couple actually.  I loaded each one with films of differing speeds because there is no other way of adjusting for changing light.  One of the quirks that these cameras have concerns framing problems.  It's similar to that of most Diana cameras, where the viewfinder is a little off in relation to what the lens sees.  This camera is WAY off, and as a result, there is too much space to the right of and below almost all of what I was framing for.  It takes some getting used to.  My Holgas don't seem to have this problem, but my Diana does--same thing for a couple of students at school who used a Diana.  The thing I liked most about the camera I used this time, was the angle of view--nice and wide.  I purposely chose sweeping vistas for most of my shots, but I think the images where the subject is a bit closer work better.  With many of these toy cameras, there is a lot of vignetting, although I think it's more a matter of having a blown-out center rather than dark corners.  I think there is a difference and this should be taken into consideration when choosing film speed.  This  camera really plays up this sort of imagery, so that you see a wide view, but you're confined to the space with the boxing in of the corners.  It's sort of like trying to capture a huge space in a small box.  I had noticed the numerous power lines throughout the greater Philadelphia area and am fascinated by them.  I think I'll try photographing them with a toy telephoto lens next time though to make them look even larger in relation to what exists below them.  As for what I'll be using this camera for now--it's my new snapping camera.  I like to have one with me at all times, and this one is just great fun.  It really is good at getting a lot in at a closer range, and the color contrast is just crazy--especially with chrome film which has been cross-processed.

Comments

Erin McGuire said…
Kelly, these are amazing! My absolute favorite is the landscape with the blown out center. It's like a dream of the past. The composition is fantastic with the grove of trees on the right and how they vanish into the distance. I didnt realize that you could use vanishing point in that way. I mean by off to the side like that. I always thought you had to be dead center of whatever it was that had the vanishing point. I dont know, maybe you do, but it seems to me like that grove of trees has a vanishing point. You could clear that one up for me Im sure.

I love the power line shots. My favorite of those is the one that I am thinking was a turn around view from the jogger shot, which is also incredible (did you have to ask him if you could take the shot? Just curious.). But I love how far away it looks. Its like those cables are running for miles! What a great view. And showing all those power lines around homes? I found it very dramatic. I used to live right next to a huge power station in HB and one time something made it explode and all the power went out. I heard it was rat or something. But it was scary! And those things hum like crazy.

I love this new series. If I could buy that landscape shot, I totally would. Well, someday I will be able to buy it so save me a print.
Erin McGuire said…
Kelly, these are amazing! My absolute favorite is the landscape with the blown out center. It's like a dream of the past. The composition is fantastic with the grove of trees on the right and how they vanish into the distance. I didnt realize that you could use vanishing point in that way. I mean by off to the side like that. I always thought you had to be dead center of whatever it was that had the vanishing point. I dont know, maybe you do, but it seems to me like that grove of trees has a vanishing point. You could clear that one up for me Im sure.

I love the power line shots. My favorite of those is the one that I am thinking was a turn around view from the jogger shot, which is also incredible (did you have to ask him if you could take the shot? Just curious.). But I love how far away it looks. Its like those cables are running for miles! What a great view. And showing all those power lines around homes? I found it very dramatic. I used to live right next to a huge power station in HB and one time something made it explode and all the power went out. I heard it was rat or something. But it was scary! And those things hum like crazy.

I love this new series. If I could buy that landscape shot, I totally would. Well, someday I will be able to buy it so save me a print.
Kelly said…
So good it was worth saying twice? haha--I've done the same thing more times than I care to admit here at blogger.

Thank you so much for the compliments! The one with the trees on the right is also my favorite but not a favorite in class. I kind of figured that would be the case as many of the students are journalist types. They like a story (as do I), and the power lines are a story. I think that if I'd captured more story in the power line images, I'd like them as much as the field/grass image. I like that one for its simplicity and the memory/dream feeling. That's toy cameras for you though. The jogger was a quick shot. An afterthought almost because we walking up to another place, and I thought I'd just snap it real quick. With the odd framing on these cameras though, the composition is off-kilter. I could always go back and reshoot. Plenty of joggers at this place.

You just can't believe how many of these power lines exist in the greater Philly area. So weird.
Erin McGuire said…
How bizarre that it posted that twice, but yeah, they are that good!

Yeah, those power lines are all over out here too. They run for miles and miles out in the desert. I wonder who maintains those things.
Kelly said…
Yeah, I don't understand why that happens with blogger from time to time.

As for the power lines, they, and their presence in otherwise normal human environments, remind me of the little oil pumps that used to be all over the place in southern CA. Do those things still exist? Do you remember the one at the end of...what street was it?? The one that we used to take straight down to the Huntington pier. There was this little oil pump, just pumping away, right there in the middle of some PRIME real estate. I'd really like to photograph some of those. They have to be pretty rare now, considering the (now former) housing boom in CA.

Popular Posts